Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

Commonly Requested Public Records

Fire Incident Reports

Fire Incident Reports are public records and can be obtained through the City's standard public request process.  When completing the public records request form for a fire incident report, make sure to include the incident date, number, and location to expedite the processing of your request. 

Medical Incident Reports are not public records and must be obtained directly through the Fire Department.  Please visit their website to make a request for a Medical Incident Report.

Building Permits

Building permit records can be viewed on the City Website.  For a complete Building Permit History visit both the Online Records Library. Building Permit Cards from the early 1900's - 1982 can be viewed through the Online Records Library. Building Permit Cards from 1982 -present can be viewed through Community Development's Online Permit Search.

Building Plans

The City retains building plans for permitted development projects in accordance with the Health & Safety Code. The City does not have any building plans prior to 1955. Most building plans are maintained on microfilm and/or digitally, and they are public record for viewing; however, building plans are subject to "copyright law" which states it is against the law to allow the duplication of these documents without receiving written permission from both the owner of the property and (1) all certified, licensed, or registered professionals or (2) their successors (if any) who signed the original documents, or (3) by order of a proper court. California Health & Safety Code §19850-19853.

If records staff has confirmed drawings are available and you would like to obtain copies, it will be necessary to review the drawings to confirm that they are appropriate. The City will send certified letters to all parties, including the owner, who must release copies of the desired drawings.  If the plan releases are not received from the involved parties then copies of the building plans cannot be released.  

Code Enforcement Property Violations

Property violations can be viewed through the Community Development's online Code Enforcement Case Search.

If you would like to obtain the fees due on a Code Compliance Case you will need to submit a Demand Request Form by fax to 916-808-7722.

Birth, Death, & Marriage Certificates/ Divorce Decrees

Vital records (birth, death, and marriage certificates) are generally held by the county where the event took place; not by the Sacramento City Clerk's Office. Please see the links below to assist you with your search for these types of documents.

Sacramento County

Placer County

Yolo County


If you do not know the county where the event occurred visit the State of California's Office of Vital Records.

Certified copies of actual divorce decrees are only available from the Superior Court in the county where the divorce was filed. The State Office of Vital Records can issue a Certificate of Record - and only for divorces that occurred between 1962 and June 1984. A Certificate of Record includes the names of the parties to the divorce, the county where the divorce was filed, and the court case number. A Certificate of Record is not a certified copy and does not indicate if the divorce was finalized. Visit the State of California Vital Statistics Web Page for additional information on divorce records.

Citywide Enterprise Systems

In accordance, with Senate Bill 272, the City has posted a catalog of its Enterprise Systems. This catalog shows Enterprise Systems currently used by multiple city departments and/or containing information about the public. 

Need Assistance or Have Questions?

We are happy to assist you. If you have additional questions you may contact the Office of the City Clerk at 916-808-7200.