Housing and Dangerous Buildings
Housing and Dangerous Buildings staff enforces City and State mandated codes relating to residential and commercial structures that are dangerous, substandard, blighted, or vacant. This division also enforces codes related to pests and mechanical noise through our environmental health section.
Building owners are legally required to maintain their property to the standards set forth in the City Housing and Dangerous Building Codes. If a structure is to remain vacant for more than one month, the owner is required to pay a monitoring fee to the City. In addition, fines may be levied if the property is not clean and secure.
Vacant building ordinance
Properties that are vacant and neglected can be cited as a public nuisance after 30 days. If one or more of these conditions exist, the structure and/or property will be cited as a public nuisance after 30 days:
- Exterior not up to Code
- Windows and/or doors are boarded, not ready for occupancy
- Structure is a neighborhood blight and may include debris or broken windows
- Structure attracts transients or crime
- Structure is neglected by owner
- Paint peeling throughout structure
- Lawn not mowed, little or no care to yard
- Junk and debris on property
The City of Sacramento revised its vacant building ordinance by decreasing the time a structure may be declared a nuisance, increasing fees and penalties and streamlining the vacant building enforcement process.
- The owner of a vacant building in violation may now be cited with administrative penalties after an initial 30 days and every 30 days thereafter;
- A monthly monitoring fee of $150 is imposed in addition to a $150 enforcement response fee for each time a building inspector is called to the vacant building site;
- A penalty up to $1,000 is imposed for the first violation and up to $5,000 for every 30 days for every subsequent violation;
- The new ordinance places a new requirement of posting a notice in a conspicuous place on the front of the building stating the name, address, and phone number of the owner(s) of the property.
City of Sacramento Vacant Building Ordinance
Report a dangerous building
Report a vacant structure that is blight, conditions that violate the safety and habitability of a building, and residential vermin or other pest infestations using our 311 online request tool.
For quick reference, please view the housing and dangerous buildings brochure below.