Sacramento 2035 General Plan: Housing Element
The Housing Element is part of the City’s General Plan and sets forth the policies and programs to address the housing needs of all households in Sacramento. State law (Government Code Sections 65580-65589.8) requires that every city and county in California adopt a Housing Element, subject to State approval, as part of its General Plan. Per SB 375 (Statutes of 2008), the planning period for the Housing Element is now eight years. The 2013-2021 Housing Element was adopted by Council on December 17, 2013.
The programs included in this document are designed to reinforce quality neighborhoods and provide choice in housing. As part of the Housing Element update, staff reviewed and revised several of the City’s major housing policies based on past performance, market conditions, available resources, and consistency with the City’s General Plan update. Two of the most significant programs that received policy direction from the 2013-2021 Housing Element are the City’s Mixed-Income Housing Ordinance and the Housing Trust Fund Ordinance.
Contents of the Housing Element
The Housing Element includes seven major components:
- Housing Needs Assessment: Provides demographic and housing need information for the City.
- Constraints Analysis: Analyzes existing and potential constraints to the development of housing and how those will be addressed.
- Evaluation of Past Performance: Assesses the City’s progress in implementing the policies and programs set forth in the prior Housing Element.
- Housing Sites Inventory and Analysis: Identifies sites available for development or redevelopment and that are appropriately zoned to support housing development in order to accommodate the City’s RHNA.
- Housing Resources: Identifies financial and other resources available to support housing development, especially affordable housing.
- Policies and Programs: Establishes new policies and programs designed to address the housing needs identified in the City.
- Community Outreach: Discusses the community involvement efforts done as part of the Housing Element update process, including outreach to all economic groups; the input they provided and how that has been addressed in the Element.
Housing Update Schedule
- May 23, 2013 – Planning and Design Commission Workshop on Housing Policies and Programs
- July 17, 2013 - Public Review Draft Housing Element available
- July 25, 2013– Planning and Design Commission Workshop on the draft Housing Element and Key Housing Programs
- August 15, 2013– Planning and Design Commission Hearing
- September 3, 2013 – City Council Hearing to Approve the Draft Housing Element for Review by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD)
- November 14, 2013 – Planning and Design Commission Hearing
- December 17, 2013 – City Council Hearing to adopt the Housing Element
- Early 2014 – Expected Certification by State HCD
Council Hearing (December 17, 2013)
Planning and Design Commission Hearing (November 14, 2013)
Council Hearing (September 3, 2013)
Planning and Design Commission Hearing (August 15, 2013)
Planning and Design Commission Workshop (July 25, 2013)
Planning and Design Commission Workshop (May 23, 2013)
Planning and Design Commission Workshop (March 14, 2013)
Planning and Design Commission Workshop (November 15, 2012)
Documents and Resources
Greg Sandlund, Associate Planner
Community Development Department
300 Richards Blvd, 3rd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95811
Please note: If you have Internet Explorer, you may encounter issues with downloading PDF files. If so, you may try viewing with Chrome or Firefox browsers or simply right clicking on the document link and downloading it to your computer