Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content


Urban Agriculture: A man and woman tend to a garden

What is an Urban Agriculture incentive zone?

An Urban Agriculture Incentive Zone Contract (“UAIZ agreement”) is a voluntary contract between the City and a property owner of vacant, unimproved, or blighted property whereby the property owner agrees to keep the property in active agricultural use for a period of five years in exchange for a property tax benefit. Sacramento City Council passed the Urban Agriculture Incentive Zone Ordinance on August 6, 2015.

How Can I Apply?

The City began accepting applications for Urban Agriculture Incentive Zone Contracts on August 17, 2017. 

To apply, bring your completed application packet to the permit counter of the Community Development Department at 300 Richards Blvd., 3rd floor. The permit counter is open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. M-F, excluding City holidays. Applications will not be accepted after 3:15 p.m.

The last date to submit applications for the tax year starting on July 1, 2017 will be Wednesday, November 1, 2017.

Your application packet must include:

  • Completed Urban Agriculture Incentive Zone application
  • An accurate legal description of the property on a separate sheet
  • Printed photos of the site, including all sides of any existing structures
  • Letter of Agency signed by property owner if applicant is not the owner of the property
  • Signed Preliminary Certificate of Eligibility (note: this will be completed at public counter)

Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

How can I Determine if my property is eligible?

Property owners may apply for a UAIZ Agreement if their property meets the following criteria:

  • It is at least 0.10 acres (4,356 sq. ft.) and not more than 3 acres (130,680 sq. ft.) in size;
  • The entire property must be dedicated to urban agriculture;
  • It is blighted, unimproved, or vacant;
  • It was blighted, unimproved, or vacant but has been converted to an urban agriculture use;
  • It does not include any dwelling units;
  • It includes only structures that are accessory to the agricultural activity, including, but not limited to toolsheds, greenhouses, produce stands; and,
  • It has a metered water service connection or approved water well; and
  • Any land use approvals which are required for the use have been approved.

Please note that urban agriculture activity must commence on the property within 30 days of execution of a UAIZ agreement or it will be terminated. Therefore, in cases where a land use approval is required in order to commence the agriculture activity, it must be approved prior to submitting an application for a UAIZ agreement. This is because land use approvals are often discretionary (not guaranteed), and may take more than a month to complete the process)

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can I contact for additional questions?

Email your questions to the Planning Helpline or visit the Community Development Department, 3rd Floor, 300 Richards Blvd. in Sacramento for more information, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.