Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content


The City Council approved cannabis distribution in Sacramento at its November 28, 2017 Council meeting (click here for PowerPoint presentation).  Cannabis distribution may be approved on a case-by-case basis in the following designated zones:

  • General Commercial (C2) - Under 6,400 sq. ft. 
  • Heavy Commercial (C4)
  • Light Industrial (M1 and M1S)
  • Heavy Industrial (M2 and M2S)
  • Manufacturing Industrial Park (MIP)
  • Manufacturing Research and Development (MRD)

Under the ordinance approved by the City Council, two types of distribution permits will be available:

a) Distribution Center - for a site  for a site over 2,500 sq. ft., intended for businesses with the sole function of distributing and transporting products through the supply chain; and

b) Distribution Service – for a site 2,500 sq. ft. or less, intended as an add-on or secondary permit that will allow an entity already holding another type of cannabis permit to distribute their own products through the supply chain.

Sites must be at least 600 ft. from schools (K-12), and neighborhood and community parks.  Sites that are less then 600 ft. from a neighborhood or community park will require a CUP approval from the Planning and Design Commission instead of the Zoning Administrator. 

View these maps to see where these zones are located in the city.  To check if your property is within these zones, enter the address in the Zoning & Property Details.


In order to operate a delivery business in Sacramento, you need both a Conditional Use Permit for a brick-and-mortar location from the Planning Division (CUP); and a Business Operating Permit from the Office of Cannabis Policy and Enforcement (BOP). A CUP, or proof of application for a CUP, is required for applying for a BOP.

Step 1: Apply for a Conditional Use Permit

Download the Conditional Use Permit Application. A Neighborhood Responsibility Plan (NRP) Agreement is required for a distribution CUP application.

Applications must be submitted in person at the Planning Division, 300 Richards Blvd. 3rd Floor, Sacramento, CA 95811 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. (The office is open until 4 p.m. but applications are not accepted after 3 p.m.)

Step 2: Apply for a Business Operating Permit

Once you have submitted a complete application for a Conditional Use Permit, you will receive an application file number. Once you have this number, you can apply for a Business Operating Permit online or by downloading the Distribution Business Operating Permit Application and submitting it in person with the associated fees at Revenue Division, 915 I Street Rm 1201, Sacramento, CA 95814.  To make an appointment to make a payment, please send an email to

Please note that applicants (owners, managers, board of directors and any individuals with 20% interest in the business) and all drivers of distribution vehicles are required to go through a background check and get a Live Scan fingerprint in person at the Revenue Division.


Effective July 1, 2017, LiveScan fingerprinting as part of the background check requirements will be done strictly by appointment only. Please note that fingerprinting is not required at the time of submission of your BOP, but is part of the review and approval process. Therefore, it can be done anytime between the submission of your BOP and after you receive a decision on your Conditional Use Permit (CUP) application. In addition, if you have previously been fingerprinted and have been cleared by the Department of Justice for another cannabis business in the City of Sacramento, you don’t need to be fingerprinted again as part of your new application.

To schedule an appointment, please call the Permits staff at 916-808-5852. LiveScan costs $88/person and is due at the time of your appointment.