Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content


On April 4, 2017, the Sacramento City Council approved the ordinance setting the regulations for nonvolatile marijuana manufacturers in Sacramento. The ordinance will take effect 30 days after the Council vote and the City will accept applications starting May 4th.  Permits for marijuana manufacturing will be issued on a case by case basis in the following zones:

  • General Commercial (C2)

  • Heavy Commercial (C4)

  • Light Industrial (M-1, M-1S)

  • Heavy Industrial (M-2, M-2S)

  • Manufacturing Industrial Park (MIP)

  • Manufacturing Research Development (MRD)

Per State law, marijuana businesses require a 600-ft radius buffer zone from schools.  The Sacramento City Code requires a 600-ft buffer from neighborhood and community parks.  Applications with proposed sites that are within the 600-ft of neighborhood and community parks will be reviewed by the Planning and Design Commission.  

In order to operate a cultivation business in Sacramento, you need both a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) from the Planning Division; and a Business Operating Permit (BOP) from the Revenue Division.  A CUP, or proof of application for a CUP, is required for applying for a BOP. 


Step 1:  Apply for a Conditional Use Permit  

Download Conditional Use Permit Application.  A Neighborhood Responsibility Plan (NRP) Agreement is required for all Nonvolatile Marijuana Manufacturing applications.

Applications must be submitted in person at the Planning Division, 300 Richards Blvd. 3rd Floor, Sacramento, CA 95811. For your convenience, you can request an appointment for a submittal by sending an email to  Please make sure to provide the following information:

1. Applicant's Name

2. Applicant's email

3. Applicant's phone number

4. Address of proposed manufacturing site

5. Assessor's Parcel Number

6. Additional Information (if useful, not required)

You will receive a response with the appointment date and times within three (3) business days.


Step 2: Apply for a Business Operating Permit 

Once you have submitted a complete application for a Conditional Use Permit, you will receive an application file number.  Once you have this number, you can submit an application for a Business Operating Permit. 

You can apply for a Business Operating Permit online or download the Business Operating Permit Application and submit it in person at the Revenue Division, 915 I Street Rm 1201, Sacramento, CA 95814.  Before submitting an application online, read this easy to follow Citizen Portal User Guide

Please note that all applicants (including all management and staff) are required to go through a background check and get a Live Scan fingerprint in person at the Revenue Division.


The Conditional Use Permit and Business Operating Permit applications will be processed concurrently.


For questions and additional information on the application process, please contact: 


Phone: 311


or you may come to Planning's public counter at 300 Richards Blvd.


Phone: 916-808-1251 



Phone: 916-808-8925