Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

covid-19 alert 

CITY HALL REVENUE COUNTER CLOSURE - Walk-in access to the City Hall Revenue Services Counter will not be available beginning Thursday, March 19, 2020.

PAYMENTS ACCEPTED - Payments will be accepted through on-line systems, City Hall drop box on H Street or by mail.

 BUSINESS OPERATION TAX - Questions can be directed to

RESIDENTIAL PARKING PERMIT - Can be renewed by mail or online during this time.  Information on the permit program can be found here.

DEPP RENEWALS - DEPP can be renewed online during this period.

PARKING CITATIONS - Inquiries for parking citations can be submitted online.

short-term vacation rental permit

The City Council established a short-term vacation rental permit on January 19, 2016 (City Code 5.114). All operators of short-term rental property (a stay of 30 days or less) need to apply for either a short-term rental permit or a conditional use permit from Community Development.

Click here to apply for your short-term rental permit

Primary Residence

The operator of a short-term vacation rental from their primary residence is required to apply for a short-term rental permit, pay an annual business tax as a hotel of $50, and collect and remit transient occupancy tax of 12% from renters.

Secondary Residence

A short-term vacation rental may operate from a location that is not the operator's primary residence for a total of 90 days in a calendar year. After the operator exceeds 90 days in a calendar year, the conditional use permit process must be started. Until the conditional use permit is applied for, an operator of a short-term rental is required to apply for a short-term rental permit. An annual business tax as a hotel of $50 and collection and remittance of transient occupancy tax of 12% from renters is required of all short-term vacation rental operators.

Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about the program.

Report a short-term rental

Think a property is operating as a short-term rental without a City issued permit?  Want to file a complaint about a short-term rental?  Call (279) 444-0160 or make a complaint online.  This is a local telephone number for City of Sacramento short-term rental complaints only.