Emergency Ride Home
City employees are eligible to receive up to six free emergency rides home. This benefit is available to all City employees who register online and don’t self-report as driving alone to work at least 60 percent of the work week. Employees simply register online through the Sacramento Commuter Club website. Once registered, an employee can log in and instantly click for a free emergency ride home voucher.
The voucher pays for the costs of a taxi or rental car, depending on the distance you travel for work. Eligible events covered by the voucher include:
- An immediate family member has an emergency
- A serious problem arises at your child’s school or daycare
- Fire or burglary damages your home
- You are sick and can’t wait for your normal ride home
- Your carpool or vanpool partner has an emergency and you have no way to get home
- Your commute bicycle broke down today and cannot be repaired at your work site.
- Unexpected severe weather is preventing you from cycling or walking home after work today.
- Unscheduled, supervisor-approved overtime
The City pays for this service to employees with its paid membership in the Sacramento Transportation Management Agency.
Registration for the Emergency Ride Home Program
To access the emergency ride home voucher, employees must first register with the Commuter Club using these simple steps.
- Go to the Sacramento Commuter Club website.
- Register or login using the Commuter Club login box.
- For new profiles, set up your profile on My Profile in the upper tool bar:
- Provide your contact information.
- Under Commuter Habits, select Carpool or other alternative mode as your primary mode of travel.
- Complete questions regarding typical commute route and length.
- If you need an emergency ride, simply login to Commuter Club and go to the Home page. On the Home page, select Emergency Ride Home, then select Click to Download Voucher. The voucher will be issued immediately with a phone number to call for a taxi or rental car.
- If you travel more than 20 miles, the voucher is for Enterprise RentaCar. Employees can call the 800 phone number listed on the voucher, or the 16th Street office directly (916-444-7600). Enterprise staff will pick up the employee and accept the Voucher as payment for the rental. The employee must return the car within 24 hours with a refilled fuel tank.
- If your travel is less than 20 miles, the voucher will be for Yellow Cab (916-444-2222).
- Vouchers include the cost for the trip and 10% tip.
For more information, email the City’s Sustainability Program Manager, Jennifer Venema, or call 916-808-1859.