Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content
File Online police Reports
Welcome to the Sacramento Police Department Online Reporting System. Using this system allows you to submit a police report immediately. If an incorrect report type is made online, it will be rejected and sent back to the citizen via the original email address.
Be advised: Filing a false police report is a crime.
If this is an emergency or crime in progress, please call 911.
When reporting some of the following online crime/incident types you may be prompted to let us know if you have any video or photographic evidence that may identify a suspect(s) or suspect vehicle(s). Please read all instructions for successfully submitting that evidence to our department where applicable.
Upon completion of this process:
- You will immediately receive a temporary report number and be able to print a copy of the report you just made.
- The report you submitted online will be reviewed prior to final acceptance and approval.
- Reports are reviewed to ensure they can be accepted online based on incident type and all necessary details included.
- A majority of reports are not assigned to detectives for follow-up based on investigative leads, severity of the crime, the District Attorney's case filing guidelines, and investigative staffing. Unfortunately, the majority of cases reported are closed without further action being taken. If follow-up will be conducted on your case, you will be contacted by Investigations.
- Once the report has been approved, a permanent SPD report number is issued and a copy of the final report will be emailed back to you.
Please read the following to find out if online police report filing is right for your situation:
If the incident involves any of the following, you must call (916) 264-5471 to file your report. Please call 911 if any of the following incidents are still in progress.
- Violent Crime (personal assault with great bodily injury, kidnapping, robbery, homicide)
- Firearm Theft
- Hate Crime (bias-related crimes)
- Sex-related Crimes (rape or other sexual assaults)
- Stolen Vehicle (theft of a vehicle, trailer, motorcycle, boat, outboard engine, ATV)
- Lost/Stolen License Plate(s)
- Domestic Violence (of any kind)
- Assault and Battery resulting in serious injuries (to include injuries requiring hospitalization or medical treatment)
- Traffic Collisions involving serious injuries, DUIs, or unlicensed drivers (unless all parties have left the scene)
If you answer YES to the questions below, you may file your report online.
When selecting your report type on the next page, please read the definitions and examples to be sure you are properly reporting your incident.
- Did the incident occur within the city of Sacramento? If this incident occurred outside the Sacramento City limits, please dial 411 for referral to the appropriate law enforcement agency for the jurisdiction.
- Do you have an email address? To file an online police report, you must have a valid and active email account.
- Did the incident involve one or more of the following?
- Assault and Battery
- Child Custody
- Drug, Gang, Criminal or Suspicious Activity - This will not be submitted as a police report. Information provided will be considered a crime tip. File a Crime Tip.
- Financial Crimes
- Harassing Phone Call - AT&T customers can also contact the AT&T Annoyance Call Bureau at (800) 288-2020 after filing Online Report. Unwanted sales calls from solicitors may be reported to the Federal Trade Commission.
- Hit and Run
- Illegal Dumping
- Lost Property
- Mail Theft and Burglary - Please call the United States Postal Inspection Service at (877) 876-2455 or file an online report.
- Non-Injury and Injury Accident
- Residential and Business Burglary
- Theft from Vehicle
- Theft of Catalytic Converter
- Theft of Recyclables
- Threats - In person, in writing, or over the telephone. The threat must be believable, and not just something said in anger. If there is the potential for immediate harm, call 911.
- Violation of Domestic Restraining Order
Click here to File Online Police Report.