Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

Engineering Services Permits

A permit is required to perform work within the public right-of-way (usually a sidewalk, street, alley or easement) or to use portions of a street for exclusive purposes per the City Code.

Learn more about what is required and how to apply for any of the following types of permits:

Minor Encroachment

  • Construction Encroachment Permit – required when excavation takes place in the public right-of-way. Examples include replacing portions of the sidewalk along a property line, potholing in the street, or connecting a new service to a water main. A construction encroachment permit can also be required when no excavation takes place, such as for construction dumpsters, moving pods, or when part of the sidewalk or street is closed due to construction.
  • Driveway Permit – required when a new driveway is being installed or when an existing driveway is being widened.
  • Revocable Permit – permission to install an object above, on, or under the public right-of-way.
  • Revocable Permit for Honorary Sign Topper - required to attach Honorary Sign Topper or Topper Sign on top of standard street sign identification. Placement of Honorary Sign Toppers in the City of Sacramento provides an avenue to recognize the distinguished contributions and service of selected Sacramento citizens, and historic or significant neighborhoods and districts.
  • Revocable Permit for Monitoring Well – required to install monitoring well(s) in the public right-of-way.
  • Revocable Permit for Street Banner - required to attach banner(s) to street-light poles in the public right-of-way. Banners can provide information about the community to its residents, visitors, and commuters; add life and color to the City’s streetscape; and promote events, activities and programs that benefit the City. It is not the intent of the City to create a traditional or designated public forum on the street-light poles. Banners may not be displayed for commercial advertising or for political or religious messages. The Street-Light Pole Banner Policy sets forth the rules and requirements for attaching banners to Street-Light Poles.

Major Encroachment

  • Public Improvement Plans – required when major improvements are being constructed in the public right-of-way and when engineered plans are needed.

To determine whether improvements are considered a Minor Encroachment or Major Encroachment, please contact or visit:

Development Engineering Public Counter
300 Richards Boulevard, 3rd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95811
(916) 808-8300

Transportation Permits

Transportation Permits are required within the City when a vehicle and/or vehicle load is larger than 8’6” in width, 14’ in height, 40’ in length (single unit) or 65’ in length (combo unit).

Transportation permits can be applied for on-line or can be submitted in person at:

Department of Public Works
915 I Street,2nd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 808-8300

Learn more about Transportation Permit Restrictions and Conditions and how to apply for an Annual Blanket Permit or a Single Trip Permit.