Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

Transportation Permits

Transportation Permits are required when a vehicle and/or vehicle load is larger than 8’6” in width, 14’ in height, 40’ in length (single unit) or 65’ in length (combo unit). Transportation Permits are issued on a single trip or annual basis, and are enforced by City police and the California Highway Patrol.

See the Transportation Permit Restrictions and Conditions and forms to apply for an Annual Blanket Permit or a Single Trip Permit.

Transportation Permits are only issued after the planned route and vehicle load have been examined for possible safety and traffic conflicts, and upon payment of the permit fee. The current fee is listed on the appropriate Transportation Permit application form.

Transportation Permit applications can be submitted with payment in person, or can be mailed along with a check payable to the “City of Sacramento” to:

Department of Public Works
915 I Street, 2nd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
ATTN: Transportation Permits

Transportation Permit applications can also be faxed to 916-448-8450 along with a Credit Card Authorization Form. The Department of Public Works does not retain Credit Card Authorizations- they are destroyed at permit issuance.