Water Conservation Codes
Important Note: During a declared Water Shortage, City Council has adopted rules that are different than stated in the City’s code.
Stage 2 Water Shortage
There is a 21 consecutive days variance for new sod or landscape. However, if you are irrigating with drip or are watering plants in containers, they are still exempt from the schedule. Note that runoff from your irrigation is not permitted at any time.
On January 14, 2014 Sacramento City Council adopted a Stage 2 Water Shortage Contingency plan which limited outdoor watering.
- Addresses ending in odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, or 9) are permitted to water on Tuesdays and Saturdays ONLY, before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- Addresses ending in even numbers (0, 2, 4, 6, or 8) are permitted to water on Wednesdays and Sundays ONLY, before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- No watering is permitted on Mondays, Thursdays or Fridays. Overwatering is prohibited.
- Car washing is allowed on your watering day and hoses are required to have an automatic shut-off nozzle.
- Irrigation drip systems and watering of container plants are exempt from the watering schedule.
- Fines for violation of the City’s water conservation codes are doubled during the declared Water Shortage.
- No watering is permitted within 48 hours of measurable rainfall (1/8" of rain as measured at the Sacramento Executive Airport).
Water Conservation Ordinance (effective December 9, 2009)
- Residents and Businesses may water and wash vehicles on either Saturday or Sunday at their discretion during winter months (after daylight savings time ends).
- During dry months (beginning when daylight savings time begins), residents and businesses are restricted to watering before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- Residents or Businesses that utilize drip irrigation are exempt from watering restrictions during winter and dry month watering schedules.
- Residents and Businesses may only utilize the "Water Conservation Education Workshop" to waive a fine every 24 months.
- Owners of properties will be responsible for violations, whether or not they or their tenant committed a violation.