Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

WHERE YOUR WATER COMES FROM

Our Tradition of Excellence

Since the City of Sacramento was founded in 1849, it has worked hard to provide dependable municipal drinking water . One of our primary goals is to deliver the highest quality water to our customers. This requires a diverse team of experts from certified treatment and distribution operators to laboratory technicians and chemists. As your partner, we work 24/7 to provide the highest quality water for you, your family and your community. 

Your High-Quality Water

Approximately 80 percent of your water supply is surface water from the Sacramento and American rivers. The remaining 20 percent of your water comes from our system of about 28 groundwater wells.

Groundwater is treated on site at the wells while surface water is treated at the E.A. Fairbairn and Sacramento River Water Treatment plants located on the American and Sacramento rivers respectively. After it’s treated, the high-quality drinking water travels through some of the 1,500 miles of our pipe network to your home. Our water quality team routinely monitors your water to ensure it meets regulations set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and State Water Resources Control Board, designed to protect public health and ensure aesthetic qualities. 

watertreatmentplants

Our Water Treatment Process

 watertreatmentprocessfinal

Intake
Our intake structures on the Sacramento and American rivers pump water into the grit basin. 

Grit Basin
Sand and other heavy particles settle out in the grit basin; the water then flows from the top of the basin to the next step, flocculation.

Flocculation Tanks
In the flocculation tanks, coagulants are added and the water is gently mixed which causes particles to grow large enough to settle.

Sedimentation Tanks
Next, the water flows into sedimentation basins where the particles settle to the bottom. This step removes about 85 percent of the suspended matter in the water. Water for the next step, filtration, is collected from the top of the sedimentation basins.

Filters
Lastly, the water is fed through filters of sand and anthracite (hard coal), coming out crystal clear. 

Reservoirs
Our treatment plant reservoirs store water until it is needed.