A Sacramento City / County Agency | Contact the City | Skip Navigation

Follow us on TwitterBecome a Fan of the Center on Facebook View our Photos on Flickr Watch our Videos on YouTube
Center for Sacramento History logo CSH store

Store

The Center for Sacramento History is proud to offer a growing number of historical publications, reproductions, and educational items to the public. All product sales help CSH in its mission to preserve, exhibit, and make accessible the history of the Sacramento region. Please visit the Center during research hours to purchase items or use the printable order form link below. CSH currently accepts cash, checks or all major credit cards for payment.

A printable Order Form can be found here (pdf).

Featured Items

The staff of the Center for Sacramento History recently authored three books on Sacramento neighborhoods. Published by Arcadia Publishing as part of the Images of America series, each title is available at CSH for $20.00.

Old Sacramento and Downtown

Old Sacramento and Downtown Book Cover The discovery of gold in 1848 launched an unprecedented and epic rush of humanity to California's Sierra foothills. Many of those miners and minerals flowed as naturally as the rivers into a settlement that grew near the confluence of the Sacramento and American Rivers. Soon the Sacramento River, once the main traffic artery between the mines and San Francisco Bay, was flanked by a rapidly growing Embarcadero, prompting John Sutter Jr. to authorize the surveying of Sacramento City in 1849. A large commercial district quickly developed, later requiring the streets to be raised 12 feet to avoid the rivers' deadly recurring floodwaters. Paddlewheel riverboats, like the New World and the Delta King, plied the waters, carrying goods, passengers, and great wealth. Besting all jealous rivals, Sacramento became the state capital, and fittingly, a merchant's residence was transformed into the governor's mansion. Today Old Sacramento, a 28-acre state historic district, and downtown are thriving, graced by such treasures as the restored State Capitol Building and the art deco-style Tower Bridge. The area features scores of historic structures and such attractions as the Leland Stanford Mansion, the Crocker Art Gallery, the Discovery Museum, and the California State Railroad Museum.

Sacramento's Midtown

Sacramento’s Midtown Book Cover As Sacramento's neighborhoods grew eastward from Fifteenth Street to Thirty-first Street (later Alhambra Boulevard), the area evolved into a complex mix of housing and businesses known as Midtown. Sutter's Fort was still popular, and community groups like the Native Sons of the Golden West restored its last remnants for future generations. In 1927, the city built Memorial Auditorium, a tribute to fallen soldiers, as a large central venue that continues to serve as an important setting for graduations, concerts, and conventions. The J and K Street business corridors expanded from downtown, and identifiable neighborhoods such as Poverty Ridge, Boulevard Park, and New Era Park developed as people settled and established businesses in these growing areas. Today's Midtown supports numerous Victorian mansions and Craftsman bungalows, as well as the legacies of such employers as the California Almond Grower's Exchange, California Packing Corporation, Buffalo Brewery, Sutter Hospital, and the Sacramento Bee newspaper.

Sacramento's Elmhurst, Tahoe Park, and Colonial Heights

Sacramento’s Elmhurst, Tahoe Park, and Colonial Heights Book Cover Originally named “Fruitvale” in the 1890s, the Sacramento suburbs now known as Elmhurst, Tahoe Park, and Colonial Heights were once home to the California State Fair, the Sacramento County Hospital, and the Sacramento Army Depot. On May 8, 1910 the Central California Traction Company opened interurban passenger service to Colonial Heights, connecting the neighborhoods to the rest of Sacramento. Today, the region is home to the Coca Cola Bottling Company, the University of California, Davis Medical Center, and Proctor and Gamble. These neighborhoods began to thrive after 1945 as many wartime workers remained in Sacramento and looked for affordable housing. Bounded by Highway 50, Stockton Boulevard, Fruitridge Road, and Florin-Perkins Road, the area today is a mixture of mature housing tracts, a sprawling medical campus, a converted military facility, commercial service centers, and light industrial operations. The area's recent resurgence, led by groups like the Tahoe Park Neighborhood Association and numerous community leaders, has made the district a true success story.

Design by: Wolfe Design Marketing