Residential Collection Services
The City of Sacramento provides curbside collection of garbage, yard waste, and recycling for all single family homes, mixed use properties, duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes, and some larger multifamily dwellings. Garbage and yard waste is collected weekly and recycling is collected every-other-week on either an A week or B week schedule.
General Collection Guidelines
- Place containers out by 6:00 a.m.
- Lids need to be closed
- Leave 3 feet between containers and any other obstacles
- Exception is downtown - restricted parking residents in time restricted parking areas (downtown) should place containers on the curb or in the area between the curb and sidewalk.
- Containers should be out for service no earlier than twelve hours before your collection day, and should be returned to the storage area on your property within twelve hours of collection.
- Storage locations must be within, adjacent to or behind a structure, building, fence, landscaping or other barrier that substantially screens the containers from the street or public right-of-way.
Container Sizes and Options
- Choose the size and number of containers that are right for you. The city charges less for smaller garbage cans, and has a reduced rate for extra recycle and yard waste containers. Call 311 or go to www.sac311.org to place an order.Your current container size is listed on your utility bill.