Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

Cultivation of CANNABIS

Regulations for the cultivation can be found under Title 17 and Title 5 of the Sacramento City Code.  To operate a cannabis cultivation business in the City of Sacramento, you need:


a) in a zone which allows cannabis cultivation uses, including:

  • Agricultural (A)
  • General Commercial (C2)
  • Heavy Commercial (C4)
  • Light Industrial (M-1 and M-1S)
  • Heavy Industrial (M-2 and M-2S)

b) with a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for production

c) with a Certificate of Occupancy specific to the cannabis activity


Under State law, cannabis businesses require a 600-ft radius buffer zone from schools. The Sacramento City Code requires a 600-ft buffer from neighborhood and community parks. Applications with proposed sites that are within the 600-ft of neighborhood and community parks will be reviewed by the Planning and Design Commission.

View these maps to see where these zones are located in the city. To check if your property is within these zones, enter the address in the Zoning & Property Details field.

To check if a property has a CUP, click here.


2) A BUSINESS OPERATING PERMIT (BOP) for the appropriate type of cultivation business according to canopy size.

  • Class A for indoor cultivation of no more than 5,000 sq. ft. of total canopy size

  • Class B for indoor cultivation of no more than 10,000 sq. ft. of total canopy size

  • Class C for indoor cultivation sites up to 22,000 sq. ft. of total canopy size

  • Nursery of any size.

Outdoor cultivation is not allowed in the city.  Cultivation in greenhouses may be allowed under the terms of the CUP.


Step 1: Conditional Use Permit (CUP) – Planning Division

Due to Covid-19, the Planning counters are currently closed.  All applications must be submitted through Planning's online portal.


Step 2: Business Operating Permit – Office of Cannabis Management

Once you have submitted a complete CUP application, you will receive an application file number (Z file or P file). With this number, you can submit an application for a Business Operating Permit (BOP).  

Due to Covid-19, the OCM counters are currently closed.  All applications must be submitted through the OCM online portal.  View the BOP approval process here.

Documents required for the BOP application:

  • Z or P number (CUP application #)
  • Information on Proposed Location
  • Business structure (filing with Sec. of State)
  • Business Plan
  • Security Plan
  • Floor plan/Site Plan
  • Odor Control Plan
  • Copy of Neighborhood Responsibility Plan *
  • Financial documents
  • General Liability Insurance (quote accepted at application.  Certificate required prior to issuance of BOP)
  • Community Relations Plan
  • Business Operating Tax (BOT) Certificate
  • Business Operating Permit Fee *
  • Owners Statement of Consent 
  • Background Check (Live Scan) for all interested parties

*Waived for CORE participants. 

A description of each requirement can be found in Title 5

To pay for your BOP application, please schedule a payment appointment here

After CUP is approved and while BOP application is in process, proceed to step 3.

Step 3:  Building Permits/ Tenant Improvements and Certificate of Occupancy – Building Department

Due to Covid-19, the Building Department counters are currently closed.  All building department applications must be submitted online.  Please visit the Building Department online portal and select appropriate service you need.  For more information on building permit requirements, please click here

Step 4:  State License – Cultivation License from Department of Cannabis Control

Applying for your State license may also take place before Step 3.  However, it is best to take your tenant improvement schedule into consideration to make sure that you have a valid (unexpired) State license as your application goes into the BOP final review step and/or start operating your cannabis business.

Step 5: The Final Review – Office of Cannabis Management

After the CofO is issued, contact OCM to schedule a BOP walk-thru.   BOP walk-thrus are conducted by the Sacramento Police Department, Code Enforcement and OCM on Wednesdays only.  During this time, your BOP application goes into final review and you will be required to provide updated information for your application including Certificate of Insurance, interested parties, and any associated background checks. If there are no corrections from the walk-thru and all application documents have been updated, the BOP will be issued.




If the City has determined that the project is exempt from CEQA review, applicants can obtain from their planner a completed Notice of Exemption (NOE).  The NOE must be filed with these agencies: 1) Sacramento County Clerk,  and 2) the State Office of Planning and Research (OPR).  The 2019 fee for the County Clerk filing is $40.00.  There is no fee for filing with OPR.  The applicant must file the notice of exemption in order to obtain a date-stamped copy of the NOE required by the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) to apply for a cultivation license.


Any engines utilized to meet power needs, including those used only on an emergency basis, must be registered or permitted with the SMAQMD (916-874-4800) and must comply with the Airborne Toxic Control Measures promulgated by the California Air Resources Board and codified in the California Code of Regulations (Airborne Toxic Control Measures). A cannabis cultivation permittee shall prevent all odors generated from the cultivation and storage of cannabis from escaping from the buildings on the cultivation site, such that the odor cannot be detected by a reasonable person of normal sensitivity outside the buildings.


Growers of medical cannabis intending to use pesticides (including herbicides, insecticides, rodenticides, fungicides, etc.) should contact the Sacramento County Agricultural Commission prior to their use, in compliance with requirements of the California Department of Pesticide Regulation. The commission’s contact information are as follows: Phone: 916-875-6603; Email:


Existing State statute requires any business in Sacramento County that handles or generates certain quantities of hazardous waste to register with and obtain a permit from the Sacramento County Environmental Department. More information can be found at:



Certain cannabis related processes and equipment may require a permit from the Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District.  These may include stationary and portable generators, cannabis extraction and equipment/surface cleaning processes, boilers, and air pollution control devices for used for cannabis grinding, milling and cutting.  For more information on the District's regulatory and permitting process, please contact the district directly for more information.