Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content


The Community Development Department offers in-person appointments at the Public Counter for planning questions and minor building permit needs. Appointments are available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For more information and to make an appointment, please visit the Appointment Scheduling page.

To help serve our customers, we also offer a variety of online permitting services as detailed below. 


Customers can now submit to Planning for entitlements with Portable Document Files (PDF). This new feature facilitates the submittals of Planning Entitlement applications and projects requesting planning clearance prior to submitting building permit applications. Without leaving the office or home you are able to submit electronically for planning approval. Questions? Please email

Building electronic Plan Check (EPC)

The EPC program is for building permit applications requiring plan review. It enables applicants to submit PDF, as an alternative to submitting the required, application, construction drawings, and supportive documentation (i.e. structural calculations, soils reports, water supply tests, etc.) to obtain clearance for building permits. Questions? Please email

Plan review staff is working diligently to meet all established timelines to the best of their ability. 

Residential PV Solar Systems:

Permit applications for a stand-alone residential PV Solar system being voluntarily added to an existing home can be submitted by emailing the following documents:

Please note, for new construction of a single family home, where a solar system is required by building code, the solar plans must be part of the overall submittal for the home.

Building Electronic Over the Counter (e-OTC) plan check

We offer Electronic Over the Counter Plan Review for projects which may qualify for this service. Visit the E-OTC page for detailed information.


Residential subdivision developers must submit production home permit applications electronically. For additional details click here.


Inspections are to be scheduled as normal. On the day of your inspection, your inspector will contact you by phone to set up an inspection time.

If you have questions, you can visit our Inspection Summary page for up-to-date information on scheduled inspections, your inspector's name, and cell phone number. Visit our Scheduling Inspections page for more information.


Permit services staff is answering general customer questions through our public email account at  For customers requiring guidance on our electronic submission process, please email or call (916) 808-5318 for further assistance.

On-line Minor Permits

Minor permits are for those construction projects which do not require plan review and are subject to field inspection approval.


If you are a California licensed contractor you may acquire and pay for minor permits for the following scopes of work through the web-based Citizen Permit Portal:

  • Residential and Commercial Water Heaters
  • Residential Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning systems (HVAC)
  • Residential and Commercial Re-Roofs
  • Residential Electrical Minor work (main and sub service panels; rewire work; whole house fans; ceiling fans; and new electrical circuit)
  • Residential minor plumbing work (sewer repair and replacement; re-plumbing of supply and drainage piping; and fixture replacement)

Additional minor permits are temporarily available to contractors by emailing


Temporarily all of the minor permits listed above are also available to homeowners by emailing the all of following completed forms:

Please visit the On-line Minor Permit Program page to ensure that your project fits the criteria.

Pay Online

In addition to major credit cards we now accept electronic check payments. You may pay for planning entitlement fees and building permit fees online through the Citizen Permit Portal. For additional information in regards to building fees, please visit our Pay Building Fees page.

Project Status

You can check the status of your building and planning application through our Citizen Portal

Development Fee Payments for Outside Agencies

Visit our Outside Agency Information resource page for more details on how to pay impact fees not administered by the City of Sacramento.


For Building division, please email

For Planning division, please email