Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

SMUD and pg&E safety inspection requests

At this time field inspection services will be conducted remotely. Inspections are to be scheduled as normal.  On the day of your inspection, your inspector will contact you by phone to set up a remote inspection. Please review these instructions to be prepared for your remote inspection. 

If you have questions, you can contact your inspector directly or you can visit our Inspection Summary page for up-to-date information on scheduled inspections, your inspector's name and cell phone number. Note that Safety Inspections may be performed remotely or in-person. 

If services have been disconnected at a property for an extended period, the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) and the Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E) may require that the existing, currently inactive, electrical or gas systems be inspected for code compliance prior to restoration. Property owners, their legal representatives, tenants with a valid lease or rental agreement, property management companies and real estate agents listing the property can now utilize our Citizen Portal to request a SMUD or PG&E Safety Inspection for both commercial and residential buildings. Simply sign up for a free basic Citizen Portal account and create an application choosing either the Commercial or the Residential Safety Inspection Request application type. There is non-refundable and non-transferable fee to perform this inspection. Safety Inspection Requests include one inspection only per discipline (gas plumbing and/or electrical). After creating your Safety Inspection Request, you can also schedule your inspection online. Our Public User Registration Guide provides additional information on creating accounts and scheduling inspections online. Please, also refer to SMUD Safety Inspection Guidelines (Form CDD-0309) and PG&E Safety Inspection Guidelines (Form CDD-0310) prior  to scheduling a safety inspection.

Note that Safety Inspection Requests do not authorize any work to be performed. If repairs are required, a separate building permit must be obtained by a California Licensed Contractor or the legal property owner (or their authorized agents) prior to commencement of work. Our Online Permitting page provides information on the types of permits that are currently also available online for California Licensed Contractors.

Frequently Asked Questions