Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content


To help serve our customers during this time, the minor online permit services have been expanded. For more details visit our Online Services page.

Citizen Portal

The City of Sacramento's Citizen Portal is a tool that allows the general public to view record details and record statuses for Community Development Department planning applications (land use entitlements), building permit applications, and permits. Users may also pay any invoiced fees associated with a building permit record.

Minor Permit Program

If you are a California licensed contractor it is now possible to acquire and pay for minor permits for the following scopes of work through the web-based Citizen Portal:

  • Residential and Commercial Water Heaters
  • Residential Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning systems (HVAC)
  • Residential and Commercial Re-Roofs
  • Residential Electrical Minor work
    • Main and sub service panels
    • Rewire work
    • Whole house fans
    • Ceiling fans
    • New electrical circuit
  • Residential minor plumbing work
    • Sewer repair and replacement
    • Re-plumbing of supply and drainage piping
    • Fixture replacement

Building permits for residential kitchen and bathroom remodels not involving structural (adding, moving, removing, altering a wall, window or door) alteration must be acquired at the public counter at 300 Richards Blvd. Remodels involving structural alteration require plan review which may be submitted for by selecting the Residential Plan Review Submittal choice within the Citizen Portal.

To participate in the online permitting program contractors must register with the Citizen Portal. Download the On-Line Permitting Registration Guide for a complete explanation of how to register. Then visit the Citizen Portal to register and begin pulling minor permits online.

If you were asked by the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) and/or the Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E) to obtain a safety inspection for gas plumbing and/or electrical systems, our SMUD and PG&E Safety Inspections page to learn how to make these requests and schedule your inspection completely online.