Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content


1.  How do I know if an address is located within the Sacramento City limits?

Check the street signs.  If the street signs have a green background with white lettering with the block number (i.e. 7500) illustrated and a white strip above and below the street name or number, the address or location is within the Sacramento City limits.  In the County, street signs have a white background with black lettering. You can also dial 311 inside City limits or (916) 264-5011 outside City limits.

2.  How do I find out the status of my Building Permit application?

The status of your application can be viewed on the online permit tool.  To find out additional information about your building review please e-mail A City staff member should respond to your e-mail within 48 hours. You may also contact us by dialing 311 inside City limits or (916) 264-5011 outside City limits.

3.  What is the fee to file for a building permit or to submit plans?

Most building permit fees depends on the project valuation.  Depending on the project, you may be also be required to pay fees to the Fire Department, Planning Division, Development Engineering, as well as to the Building Division. A counter staff member can complete a fee estimate for you at a cost of $152.00. A Preliminary Fee Worksheet must be completed before the estimate can be created.

4.  What is the turnaround time for the approval of a building permit?

The turnaround time for the approval of a building permit depends on the scope of the work. Permits for work not requiring plans are issued over-the-counter. Work requiring plans has to be routed to several Community Development Divisions and/or other City agencies (Fire, Utilities, and Transportation Departments) for review and approval. More...

5.  Where do I submit plans for my project?

You may submit your plans at the following location: 300 Richards Blvd., 3rd Floor, Sacramento, CA 95811. If submitting plans for an off-site projects (i.e. off-site utilities, sidewalks, etc.) please see Development Engineering. If submitting plans for an on-Site projects please see Planning.

6.  What does it mean when a building permit application is "on hold"?

Usually an application is put on hold when additional information is required by the plan checker reviewing your application. Additional information may consist of fee receipts, certificates, calculations and/or revised drawings.

7.  Where do I submit revisions to my building application?

To resubmit plans, please verify that all the disciplines have completed their reviews using the online permit tool, and whether corrections are required. Then, obtain all correction lists and revise all plans. Submit one copy of the plans for each discipline that had changes (minimum two). Highlight or cloud any and all changes on every set of copies, even if that discipline has been approved. Resubmit with a response letter explaining all changes or lack thereof. The plans should be resubmitted to the Permit Counter (300 Richards Boulevard, 3rd Floor).

8.  What time is building construction allowedCan work be done on weekends?

Building construction can occur during the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, or the Building Official, may permit work to be done before or after these hours in the case of urgent necessity and in the interest of public health and welfare for a period not to exceed three days. Application for this exemption may be made in conjunction with the application for the work permit or during progress of the work, PRIOR to start of after hours work.

9.  What if a permit expires?

Generally, a permit expires after 180 days if no inspections have been made. If the permit expires before the final inspection, the project is in violation of the California State Building Code. If this occurs, please email or come in to the Permit Counter. City staff will work with the applicant to reactivate or re-apply for the permit.