Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

cannabis Information for Businesses

The City of Sacramento currently allows dispensaries, cultivation, nonvolatile manufacturing and testing in specific zones within the city, subject to a set of regulations. City issued permits are required in order to obtain State licenses, beginning January 2018.

To start a cannabis business in Sacramento, the following permits are required: a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for the property, a Business Operating Permit for the business operation itself.  Building Permits are also required for all construction and tenant improvements on the cannabis operation site.  Except for dispensaries, applications for these businesses can be downloaded from their specific pages on this website. Please check our Policy page for City ordinances and State regulations pertaining to marijuana businesses.


Use this flyer to understand the City of Sacramento permitting process.

BOP Application Packet Checklist for all business types

Industry Resources

California Cannabis Industry Association (CCIA)

National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA)

Sacramento Cannabis Industry Association (SCIA)

NorCal Cannabis Alliance (NCCA)