Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

DELIVERY (non-storefront dispensaries / delivery-only dispensaries )

The City Council approved delivery of both medical and adult use cannabis in Sacramento at its November 28, 2017 Council meeting.  Per State law, delivery is a function of a dispensary and can only be done by a dispensary, and not by a third-party delivery or courier service.  Delivery drivers must also be employees of a dispensary.  Cannabis delivery may be approved on a case-by-case basis for permitted dispensaries or by new non-storefront, delivery-only dispensaries in the following zones:

  • General Commercial (C2)
  • Heavy Commercial (C4)
  • Light Industrial (M1 and M1S)
  • Heavy Industrial (M2 and M2S)

Sites must be at least 600 ft. from schools (K-12), and neighborhood and community parks.  Sites that are less then 600 ft. from a neighborhood or community park will require a CUP approval from the Planning and Design Commission instead of the Zoning Administrator.  Delivery businesses may co-locate within a building. 

View these maps to see where these zones are located in the city.  To check if your property is within these zones, enter the address in the Zoning & Property Details.


Non-storefront dispensaries may apply for permits according to their gross receipts, namely: a) Over $500,000 and b) Less than $500,000 in gross receipts. 


In order to operate a delivery business in Sacramento you need both a Conditional Use Permit for a brick-and-mortar location from the Planning Division (CUP); and a dispensary Business Operating Permit (BOP) from the Office of Cannabis Management. A CUP, or proof of application for a CUP, is required for applying for a BOP.

Step 1: Apply for a Conditional Use Permit

Download the Conditional Use Permit Application. A Neighborhood Responsibility Plan (NRP) Agreement is required for a delivery CUP application.

Permitted dispensaries who wish to add delivery must submit a CUP minor modification.

Applications must be submitted in person at the Planning Division, 300 Richards Blvd. 3rd Floor, Sacramento, CA 95811 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. (The office is open until 4 p.m. but applications are not accepted after 3 p.m.)

Step 2: Apply for a Business Operating Permit

Once you have submitted a complete application for a Conditional Use Permit, you will receive an application file number. Once you have this number, you can apply for a Business Operating Permit online or by downloading the Business Operating Permit Application and submitting it in person with the associated fees at Revenue Division, 915 I Street Rm 1201, Sacramento, CA 95814.  Permitted dispensaries who wish to add Delivery to their service must also modify their Business Operating Permit.  To make an appointment to make a payment, please send an email to

Please note that interested parties (owners, managers and individuals with 20% interest in the business) and all delivery drivers are required to go through a background check and get a Live Scan fingerprint in person at the Revenue Division.


If the City has determined that the project is exempt from CEQA review, applicants can obtain from their planner a completed Notice of Exemption (NOE).  The NOE must be filed with these agencies: 1)  Sacramento County Clerk,  and 2) the State Office of Planning and Research (OPR).  The 2019 fee for the County Clerk filing is $40.00.  There is no fee for filing with OPR.  The applicant must file the notice of exemption in order to obtain a date-stamped copy of the NOE required for a State license.