Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content


On April 4, 2017, the Sacramento City Council approved the ordinance setting the regulations for laboratories that will test cannabis products in Sacramento and began accepting application on May 4, 2017. Permits for testing laboratories will be issued on a case by case basis in the following zones:

  • General Commercial (C2)
  • Heavy Commercial (C4)
  • Light Industrial (M-1, M-1S)
  • Heavy Industrial (M-2, M-2S)
  • Manufacturing Industrial Park (MIP)
  • Manufacturing Research Development (MRD)

View these maps to see where these zones are located in the city.  To check if your property is within these zones, enter the address in the Zoning & Property Details.

Testing laboratories can be done as a by-right activity and does not require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP).  A Business Operating Permit (BOP) from the Office of Cannabis Management is required to operate a testing laboratory.

HOW TO APPLY for a business operating permit:

You can apply for a Business Operating Permit online or download the Business Operating Permit Applicationand submit it in person at the Revenue Division, 915 I Street Rm 1201, Sacramento, CA 95814. Before submitting an application online, read this easy to follow Citizen Portal User Guide.  To pay for your application, please schedule your appointment here.

Please note that owners, managers, board of directors and any individuals with at least 20% interest in the business are required to go through a background check and get a Live Scan fingerprint in person at the Revenue Division. Fingerprinting is done strictly by appointment only.

Please make sure to also check for potential County requirements such as:

Existing State statute requires any business in Sacramento County that handles or generates certain quantities of hazardous waste to register with and obtain a permit from the Sacramento County Environmental Department. More information can be found at: