Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content



Wednesday - Friday 12:00 pm - 5:30 pm     Saturday - Sunday 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm

RECEPTION CENTER:   Wednesday - Sunday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Closed on Monday, Tuesday, and holidays


Licensing through the Front Street Animal Shelter covers residents within the city limits of Sacramento only. If you reside in the county limits of Sacramento, you will need to license with the Bradshaw Animal Shelter.



If your street sign is green-colored, then you reside within the city limits of Sacramento. If your street sign is white-colored, then you reside within the county limits of Sacramento. You may also verify your address through the Sacramento County Parcel Viewer. After you enter your house number and street name, refer to the Property Information box on the left side and look under "Jurisdiction."



If your pet's rabies vaccination expires next year, then you are only eligible for the 1-year license. If your pet's rabies vaccination is good for the next 3 years, then you are eligible for the 3-year license. It is important to note that the license cannot expire beyond the rabies vaccination expiration. In addition, there is a possibility that your 1-year license may not last a full 12 months. For example, if your pet's rabies vaccination expires in December 2017 and you purchase your license today, then your license would only be good until December 2017.  Again, the license expiration is dependent on the rabies vaccination expiration.

license online

Online Pet Licensing City of Sacramento


  • Location - Front Street Animal Shelter      2127 Front Street     Sacramento CA 95818
  • Main Office - Wed - Fri  12:00 pm - 5:30 pm  and  Sat - Sun  12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
  • Reception Center - Wednesday - Sunday  9:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • Payment - Cash, Check, Money Order, VISA, Mastercard, American Express
  • Checks and money orders made payable to CITY OF SACRAMENTO


  • Location - Front Street Animal Shelter      2127 Front Street     Sacramento CA 95818
  • Payment - Check or Money Order. Do NOT send cash.
  • Checks and money orders made payable to CITY OF SACRAMENTO



  • Call 916-808-3785 (message line) or email  NOTE:  This message line and email address are for pet license-related questions or concerns ONLY. Non-license-related issues will NOT be answered.


Dog License & Cat License Fees
Dog License Fees Cat License Fees
1-Year License (Spayed or Neutered) $20 1-Year License (Spayed or Neutered) $10
3-Year License (Spayed or Neutered) $50 3-Year License (Spayed or Neutered) $25
1-Year License (NOT Spayed or Neutered) $75 1-Year License (NOT Spayed or Neutered) $75
3-Year License (NOT Spayed or Neutered) $200 3-Year License (NOT Spayed or Neutered) $200
1-Year License w/ Senior Citizen Discount* $8 1-Year License w/ Senior Citizen Discount* $8
3-Year License w/ Senior Citizen Discount* $23 3-Year License w/ Senior Citizen Discount* $23
*Owner must be at least 62 years old AND the dog or cat must be spayed or neutered
1-Year "Show Dog" License $36 1-Year "Show Cat" License $36
License Tag Replacement* $5 License Tag Replacement* $5
*New tags are NOT issued after each renewal. The original tag is re-used after each renewal.
Is there a pet license assistance program for low-income residents?

Yes,  the Front Street Animal Shelter has a program for pet owners who reside within the city limits of Sacramento AND whose pets are spayed or neutered.  Any City of Sacramento resident who participates in one of the following programs may receive a complimentary license:

  • Lifeline (AT&T)
  • PG&E and SMUD Assistance Programs
  • City Utility Rate Assistance Program

Proof of program participation is required prior to licensing your pet. A rabies vaccination and a microchip is also included with this offer. 

In addition, you may qualify for a complimentary license if you are on government welfare assistance (such as SSDI, Medi-Cal, etc). As mentioned previously, this only applies to residents who reside within the city limits of Sacramento AND whose pets are spayed or neutered.

How do I qualify for the Senior-Citizen discount?

We offer a senior citizen discount for those 62 years of age or older. We do require proof of age, such as a copy of a driver's license or any official document stating your identity and your age. A 1-year altered license is $8.00 and a 3-year altered license is $23.00. Please note that this discount applies ONLY to altered animals.

Does the shelter provide any resources for low-cost vaccinations?

The shelter offers a vaccination clinic on the 1st Wednesday of each month from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm. The clinic is operated by VIP Petcare Services. For this clinic only, the rabies vaccination is offered at a special price of $6. Also, the shelter will be open from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm for those who wish to license their pet or renew their pet's license.

The shelter offers a FREE vaccination clinic for low-income residents within the city limits of Sacramento (must provide proof of residency and proof of low-income status or public welfare assistance) on the 3rd Sunday of each month from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm. Also, microchips are provided at a reduced cost of $10 (cash only) per animal. This clinic is coordinated by shelter volunteers and is operated from a mobile surgery trailer parked along Front Street in front of the Reception Center. The clinic closes at 1:00 pm, and there is often a line. To ensure service, please arrive by no later than 12:00 pm.

How much does the Front Street Animal Shelter charge for a microchip? 

Microchipping is available for a one-time fee of $5 and is offered Wednesday through Sunday from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm. No appointment necessary. For more information, check out our "Microchip Information" page.

Do I need to get a rabies vaccination for my pet before I license my pet?

The rabies vaccination is mandatory before the issuance of a new license. All new and renewal license applications require a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate issued by a veterinarian. The license is only valid during the period that the rabies vaccination is effective, so please check and make sure that the rabies vaccination has not expired.

Do I need to submit proof that my pet is spayed/neutered before I license my pet?

If your pet is spayed or neutered, please submit a copy of the spay/neuter certificate from your veterinarian. We will also accept proof such as a veterinary bill detailing the spay or neuter surgery or a rabies vaccination certificate that indicates that an animal is spayed or neutered.

How long does a license last before it expires?

Licenses may be purchased for 1 year or 3 years. If you would like a 3-year license, then the rabies vaccination must be valid during the 3-year period of the license. For example, if you wish to purchase a 3-year license this year in 2017, then the rabies vaccination must also be valid for three years until 2020. A license cannot expire AFTER the rabies vaccination.

How do I get a replacement license tag for my pet?

The license tag is a permanent tag and shall be attached to the animal's collar and/or harness and be worn at all times. A new tag will NOT be issued during the renewal of a license UNLESS your license tag is lost or the writing becomes illegible. If you need to replace your tag, you may request it at a replacement cost of $5.

What are the qualifications for a show dog or show cat license?
  • Registration with a national animal registry
  • Participation in sanctioned show within last 12 months
  • Dog or cat cannot be bred during period of the license
What are the qualifications for a chicken license and a chicken coop permit?


  • A maximum of three (3) chickens per residential parcel
  • Roosters are prohibited
  • Slaughtering are prohibited
  • Coop may not be closer than 20 feet to the nearest neighboring dwelling
  • Chickens must be confined and properly caged in a coop at all times
  • Chickens are prohibited from being a noise disturbance
  • Coop must be well-maintained and clean and be a minimum of 15 square feet and a maximum of 42 square feet
  • Coop must have four walls and a roof and be constructed of suitable material
  • Coop may only be kept in the rear yard
  • Nesting boxes in the coop are required
  • Chickens must be provided with adequate food, water, and ventilation
  • Feed must be stored properly to prevent spoilage and to prevent access to other animals and rodents
  • Feces and feathers must be removed every 24 hours and shall be stored in an air tight container prior to disposal. Use of city issued garbage containers is acceptable.
What are the fees to purchase a chicken license Fee and a chicken permit?
  • $10 annual licensing fee per chicken. A band will be issued for each bird.
  • $15 annual coop permit fee
Does animal control perform inspections and issue citations?
  • Animal Control Officers will respond to perform inspections only if a complaint is filed
  • Administrative citations will be issued for a violation of the ordinance. Criminal citations may be issued for possession of fighting roosters or for any animal cruelty, abuse, or neglect situation.