Fingerprinting and Live Scan
Can I get fingerprinting services for a vehicle theft?
Since September 2010, the Sacramento Police Department has no longer provided fingerprinting services for a vehicle theft.
What is Live Scan?
The Sacramento Police Department offers Live Scan fingerprint services to the public for the purposes of pre-employment. Live Scan has the ability to digitally transmit your fingerprints to the California State Department of Justice. You may also have your fingerprints produced on a hard copy, which you or your employer can mail to the necessary agency.
When an applicant wishes to use the Live Scan service, he or she will need to provide a current and valid California Driver License or California Identification Card. Also accepted are passports, out-of-state driver licenses, military ID cards, and IDs from the Mexican Consulate. The applicant must also produce a "Request for Live Scan Service" form. Live Scan forms are provided by the requesting agency; the Police Department does NOT provide Live Scan forms. The Live Scan operator will enter information from the submission form and digitally capture the fingerprint images. The captured information is immediately transmitted to the Department of Justice over a telephone line.
What are the Live Scan fees?
There are many reasons for citizens to obtain Live Scan services. Fees for these services can vary, and depend on the purpose of the Live Scan. Some of the most common reasons and fees are listed below.
Most Common Livescan Fees
$32 (DOJ fees) + $56 (Sacramento Police fees) = $88
- Department of Health Services (CNA Certification)
- Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (Vocational Nurse/Psychiatric Tech)
$32 (DOJ fees) + $17 (FBI fees) + $56 (Sacramento Police fees) = $105
- California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- Notary Public
- Department of Real Estate
- Board of Nursing (travel nurse)
- California Board of Accountancy (CPA)
- Medical Board of California
- Veterinary Medical Board (Veterinarian/Veterinary Tech)
- Committee on Dental Auxiliaries
- Bureau Security and Investigative Services (Alarm Agent and Security Guard)
- Board of Occupational Therapy (Occupational Therapist/Occupational Therapy Assist.)
- Office of Real Estate Appraisers (Real Estate Appraiser License)
Ink fingerprinting, also known as hard card prints, is provided by the Sacramento Police Department. Typically the requesting agency provides the fingerprinting cards, however, we will provide fingerprint cards upon request with paid fingerprinting services. Ink fingerprinting fees are $56 for up to three cards per person.
How can I make a Live Scan appointment and get payment information?
Live Scan services are done by appointment only at the address below. Please call (916) 808-0780, Monday through Friday, to make an appointment.
Sacramento Police Department
Public Safety Administration Building
5770 Freeport Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95822 (map it)
Cash, personal checks (Sacramento County residents only), and credit cards are accepted for payment.