Dispatch Sit Along Program
The purpose of the Sacramento Police Department Sit Along Program is to encourage community involvement in law enforcement and to educate the public by opening up the lines of communication within the community. The Sit Along Program promotes a better understanding of the challenges, risks, and rewards of the dispatcher's role in the community.
Take a moment to also watch these informative testimonial videos about working as a Sacramento Police Dispatcher.
The Sacramento Police Department encourages community involvement in the law enforcement process and allows interested citizens and students to sit as observers with police dispatchers.
All persons wishing to participate in the Sit Along Program must be at least 18 years of age. However, the signature of a parent or guardian allows applicants under the age of 18 years of age to participate.
Program Rules and Guidelines
- Submitting a request does not guarantee sit along approval.
- All participants in the Sit Along Program must read, agree, and abide by all rules and guidelines and complete the Sit Along Application before the scheduled sit along.
- Participants must have a valid photo ID or driver license with them when reporting for their scheduled sit along.
- Participants shall be considered observers only, and shall be under the direct supervision of an assigned dispatcher during the sit along.
- Participants shall conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner at all times.
- No tape recordings, cameras, or similar devices are allowed without prior approval from the Chief of Police or his designee.
- For security and safety reasons, participants are not allowed to handle or use any of the dispatcher's equipment or the equipment in the communications facility.
- Dress attire during a sit along is business casual.
Failure to comply with any of the above listed rules and guidelines will result in the immediate termination of the sit along.
To request a sit along with a dispatcher, applicants must print out and complete the Ride Along Program Application (make sure to check the Dispatch Sit Along Request box) and submit the completed application to:
Sacramento Police Communications Center
Attention: Academy Staff
7397 San Joaquin Street
Sacramento, CA 95820
Completed applications may also be faxed to (916) 808-1829.
Applicants shall apply at least two weeks in advance of the sit along date so records checks and scheduling can be accommodated. We make every effort to process the applications in a timely manner. However, due to the large number of applicants, the ride along / sit along notification may be delayed. You will be contacted by a member of our staff once the application has been processed.