The Sacramento Police Department is accepting applications for Reserve Police Officer.
The Sacramento Police Department Reserve Unit offers YOU an opportunity to become involved in law enforcement. Reserve Police Officers are sworn, non-career, reserve or on-call law enforcement positions which perform the full range of law enforcement duties.
You will wear the same uniform and use the same equipment as our full-time officers. Many of our Reserve Police Officers also have successful full-time careers, and others are seeking full-time positions with various departments, including ours. Becoming a Reserve Police Officer is an excellent "stepping stone" opportunity to enter a career in law enforcement. It is also an opportunity to see if law enforcement is a career for you.
- Perform limited law enforcement duties while under immediate supervision that are not likely to result in physical arrests.
- Assist the Police Department in safely directing the control of vehicular, pedestrian, and bicycle traffic.
- Assist the Police Department in controlling crowds at major events, gatherings, disasters, and any other special occasions which may cause a large crowd to assemble or traffic to congest.
- Assist in providing security at City facilities, parades, sporting and other public events.
- Assist in providing transportation and hospital custody of prisoners.
- Transport evidence, records and equipment.
- Prepare necessary reports.
- Patrol a designated area of the city on foot, on a motorcycle, or in a patrol car, jeep or van to preserve order, prevent crime and discover criminal acts, and make arrests.
- Answer radio dispatched or citizens requests for police services at accident scenes, domestic disputes, law violations, and peace disturbances.
- Conduct investigations, gather evidence, interview witnesses, take statements, make arrests, or write citations and make written reports at crime or accident scenes.
- Testify in court at criminal hearings and trials.
- Provide traffic control at accident scenes, fires, and congested areas.
- May work in plain clothes to conduct follow-up investigations, and to suppress vice or narcotics activities.
- Conduct lineups for identification of suspects.
- Attend community meetings to discuss crime problems.
- Evaluate and control violent situations and subjects.
- Order and direct emergency equipment at accident and disaster scenes.
- Search for missing subjects.
- Drive vehicles under hazardous and emergency conditions.
- Provide first aid to injured or sick subjects.
- Other related duties may also be performed; not all duties listed may necessarily be performed by each individual holding this classification.
- Train employees in proper police procedures.
- Supervise and lead the activities of other Reserve Police personnel.
- Possession of a valid P.O.S.T. Recruit Basic Course (664 hour) Certificate or completion and current status of P.O.S.T. Level I Module (730 hours).
- Possession of two years experience as a sworn peace officer in a California P.O.S.T certified law enforcement department.
- To maintain the Reserve Police Officer Level I, the applicant must also complete 400 hours of Field Training.
- Must be at least 21 years of age by the date of appointment.
- Must be a citizen of the United States by the date of appointment.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Loss of the license is cause for discipline.
- As a condition of continued employment, incumbents may be required to pass an annual physical performance test.
- Work in this class requires wearing respiratory protective equipment at times. When assigned to such work, facial hair must be shaven when it interferes with the safe fitting of respiratory protective equipment.
- Free of felony convictions under California Government Code Section 1029.
If you are interested in becoming a Reserve Police Officer for the Sacramento Police Department, you may apply through our online system.
If you have questions or would like to receive more information about this exciting and challenging position, contact our Reserve Coordinator:
Sgt. Arnel Aquino
Sacramento Police Department
5770 Freeport Blvd Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95822