Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

Domestic Violence/Abuse

What is Domestic Violence?

The U.S. Department of Justice defines domestic violence as a pattern of abusive behavior in any relationship that is used by one partner to gain or maintain power and control over another intimate partner. Domestic violence can be physical, sexual, emotional, economic, or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. Domestic violence not only affects those who are abused, but also has a substantial effect on family members, friends, co-workers, witnesses, and the community at large.

Civil Restraining Orders

A restraining order is a court order that can help protect a victim from physical, emotional or financial abuse. If can also help protect you from being stalked or harassed. There are two kinds of civil restraining orders, Civil and Domestic Violence. In domestic violence cases, restraining orders are free. There is a fee for other types of Civil Restraining Orders.

Where can I obtain information on Domestic Violence Restraining Orders?

The Sacramento County Family Relations Courthouse provides a free workshop on preparing the paperwork needed to file for a Domestic Violence Temporary Restraining Order. Visit the County’s Domestic Violence webpage for complete information about obtaining Domestic Violence Restraining Orders and the workshops. These workshops are for both men and women and are held at the:

William R. Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse
3341 Power Inn Road
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916) 875-3400

Domestic Violence and Children

Children who grow up witnessing domestic violence are among those most seriously affected by this crime. We have provided an informative brochure - “Domestic Violence and Children: Facts and Resources” - on the unique effects to children. Download the PDF here

How can I obtain a Civil Restraining Order?

You can request a Restraining Order against a person who has hurt or threatened you, or other family members, by going to the Family Relations Courthouse at 3341 Power Inn Road. You may also find full information at the Superior Court of California's Frequently Asked Questions webpage about the various types of Restraining Orders and the process from obtaining one. 

What can I do about annoying or threatening phone calls?

If you become a victim of annoying phone calls, you should report them to the Police Department. Your phone company may be able to assist in tracking the origin of the calls if they have a police report number. To report annoying phone calls, use our Online Reporting System.

If you become a victim of threatening phone calls, report them to the Police Department by calling (916) 808-5471. Law enforcement takes threatening calls seriously, and so should you, especially if you are in a battering relationship or have been the victim of domestic violence.

How can I report child abuse?

If you think that a child is in immediate danger from child abuse or neglect, call 9-1-1.

Anyone suspecting that a child is being abused should report it to their local law enforcement agency. In Sacramento, contact the Police Department's Child Abuse Unit at (916) 808-0584.

You may also call the County’s 24-Hour Child Abuse Hotline at (916) 875-5437 (875-KIDS); or call the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453).

Visit the County's Child Protective Serviceswebsite to learn more about mandatory child abuse reporting laws.

How can I report adult/elder abuse?

Adult Protective Services is a state mandated program dedicated to maintaining the health and safety of elderly and dependent adults subjected to neglect, abuse, or exploitation, or who are unable to protect their own interests. An elder is a person 65 years of age or older. A dependent adult is a person between the ages of 18 and 64 who is unable to protect his or her rights, including but not limited to persons who have physical or development disabilities or whose physical or mental abilities have diminished because of age.

Elder and dependent adult abuse includes: Physical abuse (assault/battery, constraint or deprivation, sexual assault, chemical restraint, and over or under medication), neglect (including self-neglect), financial abuse, abandonment, isolation, abduction, and psychological or verbal abuse.

  • To report physical elder abuse, call the Police Department at (916) 808-5471.
  • Elder abuse can also be in the form of financial fraud. This includes identity theft and any financial fraud schemes. To report financial elder abuse, use our Online Reporting System.

    For complete information, visit the County’s Adult Protective Services website or call (916) 874-9377.