Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content



The City of Sacramento does not have designated areas to legally operate Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs).  An OHV is any motor vehicle that can be operated off-highway, such as an all-terrain vehicle (ATV), dirt bike, sand rail, recreational utility vehicle (RUV), golf cart, snowmobile, go-cart, jeep, and 4x4.

  California State Parks:  Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation

A Guide to California Off-Highway Vehicle Adventures


According to the State of California, there are a variety of public lands in California open to managed OHV recreation.  Check with your local land management agency regarding legal riding areas and local regulations.  You can ride on your private property or the private property of others with their permission.  There are many privately owned and operated motocross tracks throughout the state.  A list of riding opportunities on public lands is located on the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division website.  You can access the following agencies offering OHV recreation opportunities:

California State Vehicular Recreation Areas (SVRA)

Bureau of Land Management OHV Areas

United States Forest Service OHV Areas

Local Agency OHV Areas in California


 Locations to ride: (Google Maps)

  •  Prairie City
  •  Foresthill
  •  Mammoth Bar
  •  Carnegie
  •  Clay Pit
  •  E Street MX
  •  Stonyford


Laws and Safety Training

California State Laws

Legislative Information

Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA)

Safety and Training


Key points to ensure your safety while recreating in the State Vehicular Recreation Areas and on California public lands:

  • Tell a responsible person where you are going (in detail) and when you will return.  Ask that person to notify local law enforcement if you do not return on time.
  • At a minimum, you should consider taking and using the following safety equipment: protective clothing, helmet, goggles, gloves, seat belts (4wd and dune buggies), first-aid kit, map, matches, and signal mirror.  If you own a cellular phone, take it with you.
  • Make sure you have enough fuel (2-cycle oil, if required) and drinking water for the round trip.  Drinking water can be more important than fuel in the desert.
  • When in the desert, consider staying with your vehicle if it is disabled rather than setting off on your own for help.
  • Avoid driving or stopping in tall grass or brush, where natural fuels come in contact with hot vehicle parts.  Stop only in cleared areas.

Practice safe road habits:

  • Drive with courtesy.  Be prepared to yield the right-of-way anytime there is doubt and you can safely do so.
  • Stay to the right side of the road or trails.
  • Approach curves and hill crests with caution.  Assume there are vehicles ahead and slow accordingly.
  • Don't go down a trail you haven't been up first.  If you don't like what you find, you may not be able to go back up.
  • Go with a friend.  Two heads and two vehicles are better than one.
  • Allow extra room and stopping distance when approaching other vehicles, especially vehicles driven by youngsters, who may be less experienced.


Disposal Locations

Scrap Yards (Google Maps)

County Landfill - Requirements:  

  • Proof of ownership (Bill of Sale and Title papers)
  • A Junk Slip is required from the DMV
  • All fluids will need to be removed from vehicle
  • Tires will need to be separated from the rims, and disposed of in the metal and tire bins at the landfill

Permits and Registration

State of California - Department of Motor Vehicles

California Air Resources Board (ARB) established regulations to limit the use of Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs) that do not meet emission standards applicable for California OHV riding areas. After the regulations were established, ARB and DMV worked together to develop criteria for identifying non-complying OHVs.  OHVs are registered by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). A red or green sticker is issued depending on certain criteria.

OHV Registration

Non-Resident OHV Use Permits


OHV Law Enforcement Grant Application Review

Public Review Begins on OHV Law Enforcement

In response to Public Resource Code Section 5090.61, the City of Sacramento Police Department (SPD) will apply for State grant funding to enhance response levels and patrol methods in remote areas within jurisdiction where the naturally diverse terrain restricts access by traditional means of transportation. The SPD is the primary agency for enforcing OHV laws and laws protecting naturally landscaped city parks, conservation grounds, wildlife, and other undeveloped areas within the city.

Public Review and Comment:

Preliminary Application for review and comment may be found at the California State Parks website . Available for public review and comment from March 6 to April 2, 2017. Comments must be received by April 2nd to be included in the final record.
Questions regarding this project may be directed to Crystal Rivas, Program Analyst, via email at with ‘OHV’ in the subject line.