Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

ALERT: In light of the directives on March 17th, 2020 from the County Public Health Official, all city public counters will be closed to the public for in person business until further notice after the close of business on March 18th, 2020. Online services may still be available during this time.

Projects may still be applicable for intake via email to

Payments may still be available via our online portal at

Minor Encroachment

A permit is required to perform work within the public right-of-way (usually a sidewalk, street, alley or easement) or to use portions of a street for exclusive purposes per the City Code. Special provisions are included with minor permits to provide for public health, safety, and welfare; and to minimize public inconvenience.

Note: If you have received a notice from our Maintenance Services Division informing you that your sidewalk must be repaired and portions your sidewalk have been marked for repair, please visit the Maintenance Services Sidewalk, Curbs and Gutters webpage for more information. In some situations a notice of repair may serve as the construction encroachment permit.

To determine whether the work you are proposing within the public right of way shall be done under a minor or major construction encroachment permit, please see the Major vs. Minor Encroachment Permit Guidelines at the following link: DE-501

The various types of major and minor encroachment permits, their requirements, costs and review timelines are given in the following document: DE-500

You can view the status of your permits online using our Citizen Permit Portal.  For instructions on how to navigate this website, please see our Public Works Citizen Portal User Guide

For other inquiries relating to Minor Encroachments, please contact

  • Minor Encroachment Permits
  • Driveway Permit – required when a new driveway is being installed, or when an existing driveway is being widened.
  • Revocable Permit – permission to install an object above, on, or under the public right-of-way. Examples include canopies or signs that extend over the sidewalk, privately owned bicycle racks and works of art, bollards, and other objects.
  • Al Fresco / CAFE Permit (Public ROW Only) - (Submit Online) Restaurants Only - A request to construct an expanded (seating/dining) service area in the public right of way.
  • Revocable Permit for Honorary Street Sign Topper - required to attach Honorary Sign Topper or Topper Sign on top of standard street sign identification. Placement of Honorary Sign Toppers in the City of Sacramento provides an avenue to recognize the distinguished contributions and service of selected Sacramento citizens, and historic or significant neighborhoods and districts. The City Honorary Street Sign Topper Policy regulates and provide guidelines for the issuance of the permit. The City Council has the sole discretion to determine the qualified candidates. The applicant is responsible for all cost associated with permit, and fabrication, installation and maintenance of the sign.
  • Revocable Permit for Monitoring Well – required to install monitoring well(s) in the public right-of-way.
  • Revocable Permit for Street Banner - required to attach banner(s) to street-light poles in the public right-of-way. Banners can provide information about the community to its residents, visitors, and commuters; add life and color to the City’s streetscape; and promote events, activities and programs that benefit the City. It is not the intent of the City to create a traditional or designated public forum on the street-light poles. Banners may not be displayed for commercial advertising or for political or religious messages. The Street-Light Pole Banner Policy sets forth the rules and requirements for attaching banners to Street-Light Poles.
  • Wayfinding Signage – Wayfinding signage provides an avenue to direct people to key civic, cultural, visitor and recreational attractions. This signage encompasses signs that are strategically placed for the purpose of directing travelers to a destination. Review the Process document for details regarding the requirements of wayfinding signage. Per the Process document, wayfinding signs in the public right of way will require both a Minor Encroachment Permit  and a Revocable Permit Application approval prior to installation. 


  • Engineering Services updated forms for minor encroachment permits in January 2019. The new forms have been posted to this web page for viewing or download. Prior to submitting an application, please ensure that the latest form is being used.

Forms & Resources