Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

Residential Parking Permit Program

Program Overview

The City of Sacramento, along with many other cities, faces the on-going challenge of providing adequate on-street parking for both residents and visitors. Some residential areas are subject to a shortage of on-street parking spaces caused mainly by all-day, on-street parking by commuters who work near residential areas. Similar to the practice of other cities, the City of Sacramento established a Residential Permit Parking Program in 1979 in an effort to alleviate this problem.

Residential Permit Parking is appropriate in those areas impacted by commuter parking and where off-street parking is not adequate. Currently, Residential Permit Parking areas range from approximately 80 residential units (6 square blocks) to 3,000 residential units (78 square blocks).

There are currently over 25,000 on-street parking spaces regulated by residential permit parking regulations.

Sacramento City Code (search under Title 10 and choose Chapter 10.48)


Program Information

To learn more about terms of use or which residential permit is required for your parking needs, please select from the links below.

new residents

If the street you live on is marked with a sign reflecting a letter permit area (i.e. F Permit Area, B Permit Area) , you may need a residential parking permit to be exempt from meter payments and time limits. Please note your permit area when applying for a permit. If you cannot determine your permit area from the posted signage, please call Sacramento City 311 at 916-264-5011 and an agent will assist. Agents are available 24/7.

There are three types of Residential Permits. Please apply for the permit(s) that you will need to accommodate parking needs for you and your visitors. New residents must initially apply in person. All renewals thereafter may be done by US Mail. If you need a Vehicle Permit (bumper sticker) or Visitor Permit (placard) and have not yet received a utility bill or any proof of residency reflecting your new address, you will be issued a Temporary Permit. Once you receive your proof of residency, you must apply for your Vehicle or Visitor Permit.

Generally, if a vehicle pays a meter or does not park longer than the posted time limit, a residential parking permit is not necessary. Please note, residential parking permits do not exempt vehicles from spaces posted as "No Parking Any Time" or on days when the posted signage reflects days and times parking is prohibited to accommodate street or city services.

Check Your Permit Expiration Date

Do you know when your permit expires? Find out now by checking the permit renewal schedule. Residents are responsible for renewing permits on time. Expiration dates are also printed on each permit issued. Renewals may be done in-person in the Revenue Division starting from the 1st day of the renewal month. Mailed-in renewal requests are also accepted. Please provide sufficient mailing time for the request to be received and processed. Permits will be mailed back to the address on the renewal application.

online 24-hour temporary residential permits

Online Temporary parking permits are available to residents with valid Vehicle or Visitor permits to provide parking for their guests. Each online Temporary parking permit is good for up to 24 hours of parking. LEARN MORE



resident accommodations for larger parties or events

Residents who plan to host larger gatherings or parties may contact Sacramento City 311 a minimum of 48 hours prior to the event to request an accommodation by Parking Enforcement for their gathering. Requests may also be emailed to Residents are responsible for notifying their neighbors of their gathering as any complaints reported to Parking Enforcement by neighbors will result in officer response to the site. Re-occurring weekly events are not eligible for this service.

Customer Service Office

Applications and pick up of Residential permits are available at the Revenue Division. Permits are free of charge. All required documentation must be submitted in order to receive a permit during your visit. Replacement permits are $5 per permit. Requests to receive permits by mail must be made within a reasonable time before current permit expires. Questions may be directed to (916) 264-5011.