Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

Requirements for Special Permit Needs

Permit Type

Description and Required Documents


Special Requirements

Student Temporary

Available to residents who are students currently enrolled in a local college or university with a vehicle that is not registered in their own name and/or with a DMV registration that does not reflect their current permit area residence. 

Students must apply in-person at the Revenue Division and must have all required documentation ready upon application.

  • Student ID

  • Current Semester or Quarter Course

  • DMV Registration

  • Proof of Residency (i.e. SMUD, PG&E, bank statement)

  • Temporary Permit Application

One per student

Must be renewed on a semester basis

Home Health Care

Residents who require a health care provider to visit their residence may be eligible to obtain a Home Health Care Permit. These permits and their expiration dates are determined on a case-by-case basis.

These permits are placards which are not license-plate specific. The permit must be displayed on the inside of the vehicle on the driver’s side of the dashboard. The VIN number of the vehicle must still be visible when placing the placard on the dashboard.

For a list of required documentation, please call.

Case-by-case basis

To apply please call (916) 808-5117

Leased or Company Vehicles

  • Current DMV registration

  • Proof of Residency: Current utility bill (last 45 days) reflecting business name and address where the permit will be registered to.

  • Declaration of possession of a leased or company-owned vehicle either on company letterhead or on a completed Company Vehicle Verification Form.

Vehicle Permit


Home Improvement

Residents having home improvement or maintenance work done at a Residential Permit location may request a Home Improvement Parking Permit for contractor vehicles.

These permits are free of charge and are issued on a case-by-case basis. The resident or the contractor performing the work may apply for the permit. Permit expiration is based on the duration of the project.

These permits are placards that must be displayed in the inside of the contractor’s vehicle on the driver’s side dashboard in a manner that does not obstruct view of the VIN. Permits are not transferable between contractors from different companies.

  • Proof of Improvement: A copy of the contract or scope of work to be performed must be presented upon permit application and must include the address where work will be performed, the expected dates of the project and the company name of the contractor performing work.

  • Temporary Permit Application

Vehicle Permit