Accessibility mode is enabled

Skip to Top / Tab to View Menu Options
Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content

HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL for commercial properties

Businesses may use the City’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility (8491 Fruitridge Road, Sacramento, CA 95832) to properly dispose of hazardous materials, provided they meet the following criteria:

1) Generated within Sacramento County

  • The waste, and the organization that generated it, must be from within Sacramento County.

2) Be a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) 

  • Qualify as a VSQG as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, section 25218.1 and Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations part 262.13.

3) Have an EPA ID Number (exceptions for universal-waste & Latex Paint only customers)

  • Participants in the VSQG program must have an EPA ID number. This can be obtained by calling the California EPA at 1-800-61-TOXIC (86942). If you only generate Universal Waste or Latex Paint you DO NOT need the EPA ID number. 

If your business qualifies, you must:

1) Measure Inventory: Collect all your waste and its corresponding MSDS sheet (if available). Determine the quantities of each waste stream. These should be measured by pounds, gallons, each, or feet depending on the method it is charged in the price table listed below.

2) Package and Secure Containers: Mark all containers with your company name and contents if they are not already labeled. If you have multiple small containers containing the same waste, you can put them in a box and label the box. Make sure the containers are in good condition and are properly sealed. If there is a chance of the lid falling off please tape them down. If the container is rusty or cracked, transfer the contents or package the entire container within a larger container that is in good condition. DO NOT MIX different wastes in the same container. If you have empty containers (non-pourable) they can be thrown in with the regular garbage (remove lids). If they are empty pesticide containers you can contact the County recycling program.

3) Call for an appointment at (916) 737-4870: The HHW is unable to accept VSQG material without an appointment.

4) Deliver the materials to the facility and pay the related fees.

  • Please see the rate sheet for the current fees.
  • Note: the facility does not accept containers larger than 5 gallons, or quantities larger than 27 gallons or 220 lbs. If you do bring more than 27 gallons or 220 pounds, the facility will reject the excess and send excess material back with you.

Your business may need to register with the county if storing hazardous waste on-site. To find out if your business needs to register, call the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department at (916) 875-8484.

Keep in mind that it is always a good idea to try and reduce the amount of hazardous waste that you generate. This may be possible by changing a process, purchasing materials as you need them so there is less excess, or finding an environmentally safe product instead of a hazardous material.