Household Battery and Fluorescent Lamp Recycling
Beginning February 2006 the State of California banned the disposal of common household items such as fluorescent lamps and household batteries in household trash. You must treat these items as household hazardous waste.
- Household Batteries includes AAA, AA, C, D, button cell, 9-volt, and all others, both rechargeable and single use.
- Fluorescent Lamps includes fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescent lamps, metal halide lamps, and sodium vapor lamps.
Residential Door-To-Door Collection by Appointment
- Call Customer Service at 311 or (916) 264-5011 to schedule an appointment.
- On day of collection place items on your driveway near the garage and not on the sidewalk, curb, or in the street. Note: When we pick up your waste, we will not return the containers that hold the waste.
- It is important that you wrap or package the tubes and lamps so they will not break. Place batteries in a closeable freezer bag or other leak proof container. Collect a freezer bag full or container of a similar size before scheduling an appointment.
Battery (ONLY) Recycling Drop Off Locations
- City Hall, 915 I Street
- Department of Utilities, 1395 35th Avenue
- Belle Cooledge Community Center, 5699 South Land Park Drive
- Coloma Community Center, 4623 T Street
- Ethel MacLeod Hart Multipurpose Senior Center, 915 27th Street
- George Sim Community Center, 6207 Logan Street
- Joe Mims, Jr. Hagginwood Community Center, 3271 Marysville Boulevard
- Samuel C. Pannell Meadowview Community Center, 2450 Meadowview Road
- South Natomas Community Center, 2901 Truxel Road
- Oak Park Community Center. 3425 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
- Robertson Community Center, 3525 Norwood Avenue
- Meadowview City Service Complex, 2812 Meadowview Road, Building 1
- Heritage Park Club House, 2481 Heritage Park Lane
The battery recycling drop-off locations listed above are free to City of Sacramento residential customers and apply only to household batteries that are generated at your residence (no business waste).
Businesses - Government Offices - Schools
We do not provide collection services for batteries, fluorescent lamps, used oil and other hazardous waste. Businesses who are Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) must call one of the locations below to schedule an appointment to drop-off their hazardous waste. Fees will apply.
- Sacramento Recycling and Transfer Station, 8491 Fruitridge Rd. (916) 737-4870
- North Area Recovery Station, 4450 Roseville Rd. (916) 875-5555
- Elk Grove Special Waste Collection Center, 9255 Disposal Lane (916) 627-3232
For more information call Customer Service at 311 or (916) 264-5011.