Recycling Used Motor Oil and Filters
Did you know that used motor oil never wears out? It just gets dirty and can be recycled, cleaned, and used again. Motor oil poured onto the ground or into storm drains, or tossed into trash cans (even in a sealed container) can contaminate and pollute the soil, groundwater, streams, and rivers.
There are three convenient ways to recycle used motor oil and filters for free:
- Certified Collection Centers (CCC) such as Autozone, Jiffy Lube, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys and others will take used motor oil from the public and will pay you 40¢ a gallon. Most centers will take up to 5 gallons at a time.
- Take used motor oil and filters to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at the Sacramento Recycling and Transfer Station.
- City of Sacramento residents can schedule a Curbside Used Oil and Filter Recycling Appointment.
Look up the recommended oil change interval for your vehicle instead of defaulting to the old standard of 3,000 miles. Fewer oil changes saves time, money and the environment. www.CheckYourNumber.org
Check out television spots and more information at www.RecycleUsedOil.com
Curbside Used Oil and Filter Recycling by Appointment
City of Sacramento residents can conveniently recycle used motor oil and filters without leaving home. This is an appointment only service. Appointments coincide with the regular recycling collection day. Simply follow these steps:
- Call Customer Service at 311 or (916) 264-5011 to SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT for recycling collection. Collection can be scheduled up to 24 hours before the next regularly scheduled recycling day.
- Place used oil in a used oil recycling container provided by the City or in a clear ONE-GALLON plastic jug like a milk or water jug. Secure the cap with tape.
- Place DRAINED oil filter in a used oil filter recycling container provided by the City or in a leak-proof bag with the holes up. Seal the bag by twisting it, zipping it or tying it in a knot
- Place items in a safe spot on your driveway, near garage or porch that is in plain site from the street by 6:00am on your appointment day.
NOTE: NEVER contaminate used oil by mixing with other auto fluids.