Scavenging is a problem throughout the region and state. Here are some strategies to help curb scavenging.
- Keep your recycling container out of view from the street, preferably behind a fence or in a garage to prevent access by scavengers.
- Place your recycling container on the street by 6:00 a.m. the morning of your regular service day and not the night before.
- Call (916) 264-5471 to report scavenging. Although it is a low priority - high annoyance crime, by taking the time to report scavenging, the City can track trends which can lead to scavengers being cited or arrested.
- Never confront a scavenger
- Don't make it easy by placing beverage containers in a separate bag as a way to keep scavengers from digging through your recycle container. It only encourages a scavenger to continue to steal recyclables from you and your neighbors.