Signs & Markings
Traffic Signs and Markings is responsible for all traffic signs and markings in the City of Sacramento. This includes all roadway markings, parking meter posts, painted curbs and crosswalks. Additionally they repair and replace guard rail and crash attenuators on all the city's roadways. Funding for these activities is provided from state gas tax and traffic safety funds.
The Section is responsible for:
- Markings for approximately 3,000 lane miles of roadway
- Approximately 100,000 traffic signs currently in service
- In excess of 5,000 parking meter posts
- All on-street curb markings and loading zones
- Repair and maintenance of guardrails throughout the city
Annually, staff complete approximately:
- 2,500 marking maintenance work orders
- 4,800 sign maintenance work orders
- 9,000 shop manufactured signs
- 400 gallons of paint striping on City streets
- 55 tons of thermoplastic markings on City streets
City of Sacramento street name signs are GREEN. If you see a white street name sign, you are no longer within City limits.
Report Sign or Marking Maintenance
To report maintenance needed for traffic signs or markings, dial 311 (within the city) or 916-264-5011 (outside Sacramento), use the 311 smartphone app, or contact us via email.